Tuesday, June 29, 2010

After another wonderful (but long) day of class, tired and sore footed, Chelsea, Kelsey and I walked over to the Supermercato to get some cheese.  So, I don't really know how to order the correct amounts of cheese in Italian, so I asked my professor (who has been vastly helpful) and she said that mezzokilo is a good amount. Great! Okay, I get mezzokilo of gorgonzola, and brie. . . and it's HUGE. I mean, I don't mind for the brie, but I more wanted a taste of gorgonzola rather than a GIANT thing of it! I tucked it aside as a learning experience, turned the corner and realized that there was already cut and packaged cheese there. I didn't even need to try to make myself understood by the lady behind the counter! oh well, I guess I'm going to have a lot of gorgonzola on my sandwiches! We went back and had a mini feast for lunch
I relaxed the rest of the afternoon and figured out the train schedule for the weekends -- we're planning on Siena this weekend, Rome the next, then Venice/Verona and Naples/Pompeii. At a quarter to eight, I dragged them to the Palazzo Michelangelo to watch the sunset (it was far away, and we're all exhausted from so much walking and heat).  Unfortunately no sunset tonight, but still, the view of Florence was amazing.
It doesn't even look real in pictures. . .  I can't believe I'm even in this place! It was nice being across the river (We're staying a few streets beyond the Duomo -- i.e. the GIANT church) because it seems like people actually live there and it's a little less touristy.  We went to a random restaurant that was in a little map book of Florence my aunt and uncle gave me, which was a lot less touristy. . . but the waiter was a little disdainful of 3 American girls who speak very little Italian. The food was good though. I had a risotto that tasted like glorified spaghetti o's (in a good way). . . but I felt so guilty about asking to take a bag out last time, this time I tried to clear my plate, which is the proper thing, which resulted in me eating entirely too much food. blah! Exhausted and full, we walked back over the Ponte Vecchio home, looking at the river
 
I am so exhausted, but a few parting observations thus far before I go to bed
1. I drink at least 2 liters of water a day, and I'm pretty sure it's because I sweat so much because of walking in the sun for long periods of time. 
2. I feel like I'm actually getting ever so slightly tan, which might be nice!
3. I was surprised, but Italian bread isn't that great. They like a really crunchy crust and bland bread. I need to find some ciabatta and focaccia bread. Although their rolls can be quite good. 
4. The kinds of observations I am making may be an indication that I need to sleep. . . 

good night!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Jen, I either missed knowing you had gone to Florence, or my old memory failed me. You are such a great writer, and you could definitely be a professional! I love reading your writing. It is so colorful and alive that I honestly felt as though I was there. So nice and relaxing, and it must be the most grand and beautiful place. Things I missed in my childhood and youth you have brought to all of us who are reading as a wonderful gift! I never thought I would get to visit Florence in this lifetime and now I am. You have such an alive and beautiful way of expressing yourself; it is natural and you can stand with the best of the travel writers and you are a poetic thinker too. It is such a cool way to get to know you even better. I appreciated you always, but wow, now I have this tremendous appreciation watching the way you are handling this fantastic adventure. You are really a lot like Jamie, and I love her too! You can make going to the market to get some food seem like a major adventure. I was smelling that gorgonzola and remembering salads I made with lettuces, dried cranberries, diced apple or pear (or peach would be good too), gorgonzola and nuts. A little light vinegarette and it is just a perfect and light dinner. Easy to fix too. Have a wonderful life journey while you are there. I am reminded of the old wonderful movie, "Three Coins in the Fountain." Be well. Peace and many blessings always, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen!
    What an amazing adventure you are on. I am loving the stories and pictures. What an incredible place! You are so blessed! Keep the blogs coming. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Just reading your words and looking at the photos brought a big smile to my face. It is like being there all over again. I LOVE Florence, better than almost any other place I visited in Italy and Switzerland. I think I'm waiting for a post about seeing the David in the museum, truly a touristy thing to do, but...oh my!

    Sounds like this is a fabulous time for you. Wishing you a continued great adventures!!!! Thinking about you often. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh misty pink Italian river, wend
    and wind your way into my dreams, my heart.
    Jen...I love the sunset river photo!
    I am so enjoying your blog...
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete