Monday, July 26, 2010

And the Beauty Is. . .

Song that best describes my trip: "The Beauty is" from Light in the Piazza. 


It's five pm on the evening before I leave Florence for home.  I'm not quite ready to leave, but so it goes.  This trip has been absolutely amazing.  I have learned so much more than I ever would have imagined about Italy, literature, art, architecture, people and about myself a bit too. I can't believe it's time to say ciao. I have loved spending so much time in a place with such a rich history -- and a history with such an apparent legacy in the form of arts! The people here are lovely too.  They really let you in, and I have so enjoyed spending a month interacting with them.  I feel like culture does create differences, but I find the similarities between people are greater and deeper. I have had amazing experiences here that I will never forget. While I know I will come back, it will never be the same as being able to live here as a student -- with my only responsibility being reading. It is such a rare and wonderful thing to be able to do and I am eternally grateful that I was able to do it. I suppose that's enough reflection for now. Here are pictures to just sum up my life in Florence. Things I'll miss. . .and things that were just a part of my day. I am really going to miss it here. 
My Street
Mercato Centrale
My latte in the morning =)
The View down my street on the way to school in the morning light
On the way to school
The Fish Pub
Our Gelato Place
The Carts (why they have to be taken out so early in the morning, I will never understand)
My classic dinner in Italy =)
LAUNDRY
The Duomo, of course
Palazzo Vecchio -- love this square
Uffizi
The Lamposts. . . 
The Lily of Florence
The Scooters
The Carousel
The Street Artists
The Country. . .
The Views
The River
The Sunsets

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I miss it too! Been there 3 times and still there is a type of homesickness being away too long that you cannot describe! I still find myself looking at the clock and thinking of what time it is in Italy! I hope to discover the same sort of magic in France in October!
    have a safe trip home Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful and amazing. I love the words that you use to describe your journey. All of these new and wonderful memories for you to carry in your heart, to whisk up when you need them when you are back at school. It is in these experiences that help make you who you will become later down the road. To life! Can't wait to give you a hug when you arrive home. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, these pictures are gorgeous! I want your latte so badly! And I want to drink it on the back of a scooter that visits all of those places while the sun is setting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,
    Thanks so much for making the time to share your trip with us "stay at homes." I just knew you would have to visit the Trevi Fountain, and I appreciated seeing your theater excursions...inside or outside. Your years ahead will be influenced by the experiences you had in Italy...the enjoyment of the market, the joy of the beautiful architecture and art, and most of all the true appreciation of another culture/community. How did you get so wise so young? Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete